Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Who Watches the Watchmen? Well after this weekend, most of North America.

You can see our review of "Watchmen" this Friday on our 14th aired episode (!!!), but in the ten minutes we spend talking about the film I only scratch the surface to what I have to say. This movie, is one I've been anticipating for the past five years, ever since the rumors started to surface. Now that I have seen the movie, I wish they would have just left it alone.

I never got the reason the book was labeled "unmakable" by so many Hollywood studios. After all, it is a comic book, which is a storyboard, which is essentially half the battle. You have the panels and therefore you have the shots. But, and this is a big but, there is more to the story then what you see. The most adult themed superhero story takes the untouchable image of the superhero and makes him human, gives him real personalities, motivs, relationships and most importantly faults. Alan Moore's "Watchmen" did it's best to answer the question, "what if superheros really existed?" What spawned from the book, was a new wave on how comic writers created their characters and stories. It had an impact on the medium so great, it can be compared to Reality based television shows and what they have now done for their medium. People grew tired of the Greek mythology, they demanded real, they got characters with problems as personal as our everyday lives. Zack Snyder's "Watchmen" realizes that, but has not enough time to dwell too far into the concept, unlike Alan Moore's original that thrived on the possibility of the inevitable being unavoidable, even to superheros, and in the end, we get a film that looks perfect, but is far from it.

I wanted to see more, I wanted to see the story I knew and loved come to life before my eyes, but instead I felt ripped off, cheated, and disappointed. So many reasons pop into my head on how they could have made it work. Make the story into a couple movies, a mini-series, give more of a fruitful adaptation to it like they did to another Alan Moore book "V for Vendetta". But when I come to a conclusion, the only one I could decide on was, they should have just let it be. Warnings are expressed for a reason, and although they shouldn't make a "Spider-Man 4", they shouldn't do a "Fantastic Four" reboot and they shouldn't divide the X-Men Origins into seperate films, in the end, the fanboys, the people who appretiate the literature more than anyone else, will be ignored. Money drives this industry, not credibility.

I urge you all to see the film and judge it for yourself. Totally Rad Show liked it a lot, and I trust the opinon of those dudes, but not over my own.

please check out the show at www.weeklyrebrew.com and stay tuned for other future reviews.
also, check out www.twitter.com/weeklyrebrew for all things gravy. You can also email any comments to weeklyrebrew@hotmail.com

As for a closer, here are some things I recomend.

DVD
Let the Right One In
Synecdoche, New York
TV
South Park Season 12
BOOKS
The Road - Cormac Mcarthy
MUSIC
Crack the Skye - Mastodon

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment